Tuesday, September 17, 2019 / by Terri Alphin Smith
Jacksonville is thriving, and there’s a reason. Of course, we have Camp Lejeune, but it doesn't account for all the development. The truth is, more families are moving here– and, more notably, deciding to remain. Why? For a growing number our long-term residents, it’s one thing: lifestyle. The location has outdoor adventures; it has amazing shopping options; and it has a food and arts scene that gains from a military audience with broad cultural expectations. In other words, no matter what your family enjoys, Jacksonville’s a fantastic place for it. Here are a few of our preferred things for you to do in this amazing, growing town:
Tour the Distillery for free and even have a taste of their moonshine! There are daily tours, however the Monthly Tours are usually on the weekends and feature a live blue grass band and food from Smithfields. Check their Facebook page for times/dates.
2. Flip'n Axe, 305 Blue Creek School Rd, Jacksonville, NC 28540
Need to blow off some steam? Just kidding...Flip'n Axe is a fun place to learn or test your skills at Axe Throwing. Everything is done under the supervision of a skilled coach! Their Facebook page gives you information about Ax Throwing Leagues and coupons!
3. Glo Mania Lazertag , 4075 Gum Branch Rd, Jacksonville, NC 28540
Lazertag is AWESOME! You can even host a party or event there and grab a bite to eat! Great fun for everyone! Check out their Facebook page for specials and events!
4. Zing Zumm Children's Museum of Jacksonville , 625 New Bridge Street, Jacksonville, NC 28540
Zing Zumm is a non-profit, hands-on interactive play children's museum. Open from Wednesday-Saturday 9am-5pm, Sunday 1-5pm. Check out their Facebook page for specials and events!
5. Lejeune Memorial Gardens, located at Montford Landing Road and Lejeune Boulevard, the gateway of downtown Jacksonville. Jacksonville is a Military town, with that said, we pay tribute to the heroism and outstanding courage of our Military! Lejeune Memorial Gardens is home to the Beirut Memorial, the Onslow Vietnam Veterans Memorial, the Montford Point Marine Memorial, and 9/11 Memorial Beam from the World Trade Center.
6. Bayonet Enterprises Cruises, 223 Leonard St, Jacksonville, North Carolina
Cruise the waterways of the New River! It's a delight to cruise on a yacht with Captain Lance and First Mate Marilyn! Check out their Facebook page for more information!
7. Cracked It! Escape Games, 559 Freedom Way, Jacksonville, NC 8. Coastal Plains Raceway Park, 4744 Richlands Hwy, Jacksonville, NC 28540
Resident and local star motorists compete at this NASCAR-sanctioned tri-oval race course throughout most of the year. Automobile racing enthusiasts and those looking for a thrilling time will also love seeing vehicles zip along the NHRA-sanctioned (National Racer Association) asphalt dragway.
Now go ahead and plan for some fun events! And stay tuned to this blog for more highlights about Onslow County!